Hello! Before I begin describing my work, I would like to say, that those three years at the University were a great time of change, development and learning for me – with the last year being focused on expanding the knowledge in the field I am interested in.
When I first came to the University, my skillset only included 2D drawings – and only by experimentation and exploration during my time at the University I found out that 3D is something that I really enjoy.
My goal is to work in the games industry as a 3D environment artist – since I think it is exciting to see the worlds and models I build come to life, and players being able to see and interact with them.
“The Grand Hall” is a piece inspired by my love for the fantasy genre, but the initial idea was far different to the final project. At first, it was to be a moody, monochromatic piece based off World of Warcraft’s Suramar City. The direction shifted upon weeks of research into elven themes, and their initial inspiration – that is Art Nouveau. This art movement proved to be not only fascinating, but also full of images, ideas and real-life reference I could use instead of just basing it off elven themes. Another major influence was “The Lord of the Rings” – in particular Rivendell’s arches and pillars, as they are unique in their combination of height and lightness.
Other, smaller influences were Gothic churches and Sci-Fi motives, the latter combined with crystals and gemstones. When it comes to the former, looking at the architecture, especially pillars helped me build a tall and believable space. When it comes to the Sci-fi motive, I decided to implement it to bring some variety in the theme and create a strong contrast.
At the same time, I wanted to make the scene look beautiful, grandiose and in a way calm – that there is nothing malicious about the odd Sci-Fi cube.
When it comes to the industry context, the work was mainly focused on practicing industry standard practices (such as, but not limited to: full asset creation, trim sheets, tiling textures, lighting and lightmaps) and software packages. This aim also drove the scope of the scene – as I wanted to practice modular building and asset reusing, the scene needed to be at least somewhat spacious to allow for that. Optimisation was not a major concern at that point, although my aim was to make it at least run on my computer at a decent framerate, which I achieved; I took my time to optimise some parts e.g., poly count on the ivy or some of the more complex structures.
Software that I used to create the scene: Unreal Engine 4, Maya, Substance Painter and Designer, Zbrush, Photoshop, Illustrator.
Art station (portfolio) – https://www.artstation.com/aonee
Twitter (mainly used to show work in progress) – https://twitter.com/AoneeArt
Scroll for more